The pearl of the Baltic States
Latvia, the pearl of the Baltic States, is one of the European Union member states and is situated in the North of Europe – on the shores of the Baltic Sea. Latvia offers visitors a remarkable array of experiences that make time spent here truly unforgettable.
Since ancient times Latvia has been at the cross-roads between East and West, North and South. Therefore it’s a multi-cultured state, where the traditions of all these countries have merged, creating a unique environment, the like of which is not to be found anywhere else.
Key facts of Latvia:
- Area: 64 589 km² (40 100 square miles)
- Border: 1 875 km (1 172 miles)
- Coastline: 498 km (311 miles) of sandy beaches
- Time zone: GMT+2
- Population: ~ 2 000 000 inhabitants
- Languages: Latvian, Russian, English
- Memberships: European Union, NATO, United Nations
- Climate: 4 distinctive seasons
- Currency: Euro (EUR)